If you do get stung, don't panic, treatment is simple and effective. Heat will make the venom break down, use coffee from your flask or hot water wherever it can be got and treat the affected part with liquid, as hot as can be tolerated, on a cloth over the area. The sting can cause problems to anyone with a weak heart but normal heathy people should not be too concerned.
Many other fish get stamped on and killed because stupid people don't know what fish they have caught and kill anything that looks ugly. The Sea Scorpion (or the Long-spined Bullhead) gets this treatment, it is a very ugly little fish with all sorts of spikes on it and a threatening and misleading name. It is not poisonous, just uncomfortable to hold, and the worst it will do to you is grunt and growl at you. Another ugly little fish is the dragonet, I've seen people killing these too.
There is also a Greater Weever which is not often caught from the shore.The examples I have caught from boats have very pretty electric blue colouration among the brown markings.Some people rate them as a food fish.